Once Upon a Time
We will be exploring traditional stories like “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” and “The Three Little Pigs”. Through talk and play we will be encouraging story telling, sequencing ideas and developing our vocabulary. We will be exploring numbers that are significant to us and exploring numbers up to 5. We will also be exploring our beautiful environment to observe the seasonal change and learn about festivals at this exciting time of year. Most importantly we will be getting to know each other and making friends.
This Term we will be:
- Introducing Phase 2 Phonics, learning initial letter sounds and the corresponding grapheme.
- Discovering story telling and poems and performing our own and familiar stories for each other.
- Developing our number sense through exploring pattern, sorting and matching, subitising and introducing numbers up to five and exploring measurement.
- Learning about our school environment.
- Looking at seasonal change.
- Enjoying lovely ‘welly walks’ so please make sure your child has a pair of wellies in school.
Things to try at home-
- Practise reading daily and read stories to your child.
- Practise writing your name and letter sounds on your sound mat.
- Enjoy developing early writing by doing fun activities which include using arm, hand and back muscles like sweeping up leaves, washing windows, painting, playdough, rolling out pastry or biscuit dough.
- Practise counting up to 10 using stories and nursery rhymes and look for numbers in the environment.
click on the link to download a copy of topic web covering all seven areas of the curriculum.